Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunlight and Shade

As I sit in the shade with me feet being tickled by the thick green blades of crab grass, I survey my surroundings.

The grass surrounds the multiple rock formations so that the soft, colorful grass
Abruptly gives way to the hard gray rocks that rise from the ground
As if they were pushing through the earth like seedlings reaching toward the sun
But the rocks have no such goal.

The shaded grass transitions along the jagged shadow line into the sunlit grass that radiates its greeness.
A lump of brown seems planted in the grass unmoving and taking in the warmth of the sun,
But upon closer observation, the lump has ears and fur, a rabbit.
There across the yard another rabbit of fewer years hops from the forest of bushes just feet from where I rest.
Its nose twitches rapidly as it explores a world filled with odors that I will never detect.

The air too is filled with life
As a variety of birds flutter, streaking in and out of feeders
And the landscaped trees and shrubs that grow without tending
Other than as may be necessary to maintain the boundary between the wild and civilization.

The dark deep green of the trees and shrubs occassionally is brightened
By the rays of sunlight as if someone had flicked an "on" switch for leaf power.

Near one edge of the forest border two horses stand silently and without any motion
To do so wood be against their grain
Their angled legs rest firmly on the grass
Ablue canoe turned upside down upon their backs waiting to be righted and carried to the water.

I relocate by adjusting the while metal chair
In which I rest and soak up the beautiful surroundings,
My feet now rest upon the rock that sends warmth through my toes and soles
And in doing so warms and comforts my soul.

Just beyond the yard lies the inviting blue water of the salt marsh
With surface ripples in seemingly perpetual motion
The sunlight sparkling like twinkling stars
The movement joined by the gentle movement of the tree branches and leaves.

So though I sit in the shade,
I have the warm view of the inviting sun and all that it illuminates
Were I to move into the sun
I would have the cool views of the inviting shade and all for which it provides gentle comfort.

No comments: