Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Search for Consistency

For several years, I explained to people that I gave up golf (not that I played that much) because I finally determined that my standard refrain after a good shot of "I could be a decent golfer if I were more consistent" really should have been "If I were more consistent, I wouldn't hit any good shots." So with that conclusion and the decision that I simply was not willing to take the hours away from the family, I stopped playing golf . . . until today.

Today I was convinced by clients and friends to play a round - even if I only stayed for 9 holes. I resisted at first - "I don't play anymore" and "Trust me, you don't want to play a round with me" and "No, I am just not interested", but I eventually came to an argument for which I had not answer "Why not?" Playing one round was not akin to dedicating my weekends to the sport. Playing one round was not going to harm me mentally, emotionally or physically. Playing one round was not going to put me that far behind in my work. I had no reasons not to play and the best reason to play was the from the inviting party who said "We don't care how you play, we are just there for the social aspect of the game."

So, I set my expectations low, prepared myself for the worst and ventured onto the course for the silliness of trying to get a dimpled little white ball into a cup hundreds of yards away. Now, perhaps you think that the outcome was that I played so poorly that I embarrassed myself (which, with my sense of humor, isn't an easy thing to do). Or, perhaps you think that I had re-beginner's luck and played so well that I surprised myself and everyone with my outstanding skills. The truth is that I played better than I would have believed, but not well enough to say I played well. After a rough first hole (rough being where my ball lived on that hole) in which I zigzagged back and forth across the fairway (which I did not find to be so fair to me), I ended with a 7 (or at least that is what the scorecard noted). From then on, however, I was more comfortable, In fact, on the second hole (and two others), I drove the ball straighter and farther than the other three players. That is not the same as saying that I got a better score than the others on those holes (that never happen, but I was second best on a hole). It is just that I hit good drives and sometimes some good shots. In fact, on a long par four, I actually was on the green in three - and then three or four putted. My putting was atrocious. By the last hole, I wasn't shooting well, but I was feeling like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. Everyone else was "laying up" in front of the water but not me. I said that I could clear the water or at least would enjoy trying. So, with all of the lessons I had learned up until then (head down, stay loose, focus) I hit a beautiful 5 iron (having no faith in my ability to hit the 4 iron) and I watched my ball fly straight and long, soaring like a small bird through the air until it landed three feet short of the far bank of the pond. I didn't make it, but it was worth the try.

Thoughts of the Day:
1. Consistency truly is overrated when it prevents you from pursuing an experience.
2. Consistency may be a goal, but one should not forget the enjoyment of the journey.
3. Consistently trying to be consistent is not consistently good.

No comments: