Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Relationship with Debbie - Part Two

When in need for a daily post, nothing works better than continuing a story - and a good story (from my point of view) at that.

The first year at Heath was one of cross signals and cross relationships, which probably is not surprising given the mix of interesting men and women in their twenties. It seemed as if everyone was interested in someone, but the interest was not always reciprocal. Perhaps the best example was the weekly (probably really just occasional) volleyball games that eventually let to dinner and drinks at a local pub. The players were divided into two groups (a word I use purposely since to call them "teams" would be a great inaccuracy. Follow the ball and you will follow the matchings (or potential matchings).

Ron (that's me) would serve the ball to Jordan (who I had dated the prior year during graduate school and at the beginning of the school year). Jordan would hit the ball over the net to Debbie (in whom I was interested). Debbie would hit the ball back over the net to Joe (who clearly had a crush on Debbie, one that she claims was not reciprocated). Joe would hit the ball to Joy (who showed interest in me that was sometimes acknowledged). Joy would hit the ball to John (who was interested in Jordan). If I could remember more names, I would remember more conflicting pairings. And so it went . . .

Thought of the Day: In our youth, we often bounce around like a volleyball or glide, and bounce and hit like balls on a pool table. However, if we are lucky enough (and yes, I know that it is more than luck), the bounces and bumps are harmless (though they may be accompanied by pain at the time) and are learning experiences, the be bouncing ball finally comes to rest with the right person. That happened with me (and I hope that Debbie would say that it happened with her).

No comments: