Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Twenty-Six Years Today

My brother's voice came through the phone with a directness that is saved for these types of calls
Dad is in the hospital - He passed out this morning - The ambulance rushed him to the hospital - Mom is there with him - So is Phyllis - That's all I know.

The second call came within minutes and my brother's voice is different, the voice that is saved for these types of calls
Dad is gone - I don't know what happened - There was a code blue - They couldn't save him - That's all I know - I am so sorry - I love you - Dad is gone.

I hung up the phone overwhelmed, in an instant the world having changed in a way that is saved for these types of losses
Dad is gone - No more calls - No more source of fatherly advice - No more fatherly love - No more fatherly smiles and jokes - No more father-son relationship - No more shared times.

I packed without thought and went home in a dazed trip that is saved for these types of returns home.
Dad is gone - Mom needs support - Funeral plans need to be made - Stories need to be shared - Plans for the living need to be made.

I looked at Dad's final resting place with a teary stare that is saved for these types of good-byes
Dad is physically gone - Dad's voice is gone from the world - Dad's touch is gone - Dad's smiles are gone - Dad's pride is gone.

I moved forward in life in the way that one must with a strength that is saved for these types of life changes
Dad's words still can be heard in my mind - Dad's eyes still stare at me in the mirror - Dad's advice still guides me - Dad's love will never be lost.

Thanks Dad!

1 comment:

Bonnie Millender said...

What a nice tribute to your father!