Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kindergarten Thoughts

When it was time for the first day of kindergarten
I was home in bed with pneumonia
So I started two weeks later than everyone else
I wish I had caught up with life, but don’t think I have

When I finally arrived I was asked to draw a picture
Red and blue lines scribbled on the page in a meaningless way
But I was asked to explain so I said it was a roadmap
I wish I had the ability to draw a roadmap for life

Each of us had to bring from home a nap mat
Mine was a multi-colored plaid like a Scottish cloth
Those were the days when a mid-morning nap was required
I wish I had the time now to take mid-morning naps

On the playground my favorite game was freeze tag
As the “It” moved to touch me I bent my head slightly
I was so short that the “it” missed and I freed everyone
I wish I had the ability to avoid being frozen and to save everyone

One day I was dressed in my white clam-diggers
Three quarter length pants with a red stripe on each leg
I was so proud of the outfit until I looked back at the pictures
I wish I had a better sense of style then and now

When I spoke my name (then) Ronnie, it was heard by others as Lonnie
So saying my name and certain words became frustrating
But a speech teacher taught me to pronounce and endure
I wish I had a life teacher as I continue to mature

Kindergarten was a time for beginnings
A time for dreaming without limits
A time when all one’s dreams had time to come true
I wish I had more time for dreaming and more time for the dreams to come true.

2 comments:

Bonnie Millender said...

Loved your memories of kindergarten connected to life lessons! Wish I could remember back that far - I guess I'm farther away from kindergarten than you are!

Anonymous said...

Ron,

Great memory. I am experiencing my grandson's kindergarten currently as he is now enrolled in the public schools in Walpole and comes home every day with lifes lessons. Sometimes I think the old days provided a better education, but I think it is simply different and the real lessons are learned at home.

My son Andrew, always known by us, by his formal name, then and now, as Andrew, did not respond when his kindergarten teacher took attendance and was looking for " Andy"

Life goes on

George Gamache